Friday, April 15, 2011

The End is Near!

Hola,

I am hanging out at my home after a hot and sunny day at the river. We leave for our Semana Santa trip tomorrow. Seven of us are going to Germany, Scotland and Ireland together - it's our last trip! I am so excited to visit three different countries in seven days, but I think it's going to be exhausting.

I wanted to share a little bit about Semana Santa. Semana Santa is "Holy Week" in English. It always occurs during the week prior to Easter. I really don't even know how to explain it - it's near unexplainable. My host brother works for Semana Santa, as his job, others are just members of the brotherhoods and participate in the events. The brotherhoods and participants of Semana Santa have been practicing for the past month, so we've become more familiar with it that way. They are supposed to be anonymous and wear head-to-toe coverings during the actual processions. There is a specific smell and sound to Semana Santa that we have come to know. The smell is of incense and the sky becomes hazy with all of the smoke from the incense. The sound is of the music that is played. It is mournful, depressing, and off-tune (on purpose). This is about as well as I can describe the scene. It is a very important event for many - some for religious reasons and others for tourist reasons. Some hate it because of the way the crowds take over the town. Sevilla gains an immense amount of people during this week. The processions take place through the small roads in the "center" of town and they become packed solid with people. My host brother has told us about how his girlfriend, who is petite, has literally been picked up to where her feet were unable to touch the ground because of the huge crowd of people pushing and shoving in such a small area.

I figured I would share a couple of pictures and a video - hopefully the video works. I don't think there's really any other way to understand the Semana Santa scene.

Semana Santa in Sevilla

That link should be to a 10 minute Youtube video that I thought gave a pretty good representation of Semana Santa.







Ha. I wish I could see some of your reactions to this. Our brother has one solid white outfit and one solid black outfit although I'm not exactly sure why. He tried on the white mask/hat for us one day at lunch. Then I guess he brought home the black one and decided he would try it on completely for us. Our bedroom door opens towards my bed, so I am the first person seen when the door is open...the door has to be open all the way to see Kelsie. This particular night, our bedroom door was shut, so he knocked on the door and cracked it open and peeked in with his FULL black outfit, hat and all, so all I could see were his eyes...talk about creepy. I don't fully understand the outfits or the morbid music, but this week is a very interesting and passionate week for many people in Seville. I have had the opportunity to watch numerous videos of Semana Santa processions because of my brother and at my book store. We will not be in town for any of the actual Semana Santa events, but I am somewhat glad. I do not think I would like the mass amount of people that flock to Sevilla throughout this week.

Everything is still amazing in Sevilla! It is starting to become a little depressing around here knowing we only have so much time left together. We only have five days of classes left, and then a few days to hang out together after that before everyone starts leaving.

I forgot to mention in my last post that when my parents were in town they got to meet my host family! I wish I had a picture of it...it was so much more fun than I expected it to be. I was initially concerned and stressed out at the idea of me having both of my parents, who barely speak a lick of Spanish, meet my host family, who barely speaks a lick of English. Just the concept of having to translate and comprehend that many people talking to each other back and forth gave me a headache, but it was actually very fun! :) My mom and host mom got along GREAT, even with the language barrier. They are both outgoing and crazy and I have said from day one that my host mom reminds me of my real mom. After their meeting my host mom even said that she thinks my mom and her could be great friends - ha. I loved it! My dad enjoyed it too and both my mom and dad seemed to get their points across with a little bit of help from me - of course. :) Overall, it was one of the highlights of my week with my parents, and I think it was one of my parents' most exciting moments in Sevilla too.

I FINISHED MY INTERNSHIP AT THE BOOK STORE! I am so relieved. It was a great experience and I am so glad I did it, but it is a bit of weight lifted off of my shoulders now that I don't have to stress about working and getting enough hours.

I received an Easter package from my mom yesterday! I have a picture of it on my phone, but not on my computer - bummer. It was so cute! She sent me, a few of my girlfriends, and my host mom different O.P.I. nail polish colors from the Texas line that O.P.I. came out with this semester. They are so cute, and so fun, of course, being related to Texas and all. :) I guess that's the last package I'll receive this semester - how bittersweet!

If you had asked me three weeks ago if I was ready or wanted to go back to Texas the answer would have been, "No!" Now that a few more weeks have passed I am becoming more and more ready and getting excited to get home and see everyone. I would still say I am not completely ready to leave Spain, but I think once the time comes I will be. Although, I do think after a week or two in Texas I'll be ready to come back, ha. I can't WAIT to have Mexican food on the way home from the airport in Dallas. It will be my most-cherished meal in four months. I'm going to savor every bite, and I will NEVER take Mexican food, tacos or iced tea for granted EVER again.

That's about it for now...I just wanted to give an update before I had a ton to tell about my trip to three different countries in seven days. Sorry I didn't have any personal pictures to update y'all with, but I'm sure I'll have plenty, and then some, once I get back from this trip! Also, just keep me in your thoughts while I'm trying to pack tomorrow and fit SEVEN days worth of clothes, for fairly chilly weather, into ONE backpack. It will be a miracle. I'll definitely have to take pictures. :)

Hope all is well in Texas! I love hearing from everyone every-so-often, and soon enough, I'll be home and everyone will be able to contact me by phone at any point in time...WOOHOO. What a concept.

Love to you all!

XOXO
Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment