Friday, January 14, 2011

Happy Friday!

I've survived over a week in Spain! I can't believe it's only been 9 days. I seriously feel like I've been here for a month, if not longer. I need to keep reminding myself that I haven't been here that long though. I am already wanting my Spanish to have improved, but I haven't hardly been here long enough for any improvements to happen! I'm just ready to feel more comfortable speaking it and having conversations.

I just got back from having churros con chocolate and cafe con leche with some of my friends. Churros con chocolate are really popular here...literally just churros dipped in melted chocolate. They are everywhere here! A lot of cafes have them and will serve them in the mornings and then again in the afternoons, after lunch and before dinner. I'm becoming addicted to the cafes con leches. They're so strong, but so good - especially after I pour five pounds of sugar in it, ha.

Yesterday we went SHOPPING! Retail therapy is what I needed, and in a real mall too! It's actually right by our house, which I guess could be a bad thing, but it makes it feel more like home. :) I restrained from buying anything but a phone though - so proud of myself in some ways, but then another piece of me wonders what I was thinking, why didn't I buy new clothes...or at least a new purse or scarf? There's about six of us that all have the same phone now - a little black Nokia Go-Phone looking thing, no flip, no slide...it looks like a miniature version of the huge Nokia phones that everyone had about 8 years ago. Hopefully we don't get them all mixed up. You should see us all trying to work the darn things...especially texting - there's not even T9 (which is texting that predicts your words). It's been quite an experience, but now I have a connection to the world! I won't be using it very much, but I do get free received text messages.


This is one, of the two, soccer stadiums in Sevilla. There are two Sevillan "fútbol" teams, which is so weird to me considering there isn't any kind of extreme rivalry like that in America. Two HUGE teams in the same city? I can't even imagine - we have enough rivals among the state of Texas.

Another thing that's big here - backpacks on wheels. Wow, definitely should have invested in one of those before I got here. There are so many precious little children in Sevilla! I don't know why I notice them so much? I guess because I'm so used to Lubbock where there aren't any small children walking to school with their parents on my side of town. They all have little backpacks on wheels that they roll behind them...it's so cute! 

The other day in class (which could have been yesterday, the days seem SO long here...I get them mixed up) we practiced the European/Spanish greeting technique of a hug and kissing on both cheeks - literally. We all had to get up and walk around class and greet each other. That's something you don't find every day at Texas Tech in Lubbock, lol. I'm pretty sure I'm a professional European greeter now, especially considering Fernando (our favorite waiter at La Cava) used to greet us that way every night. I'm probably going to bring the tradition back to the states with me, hahaha, so get ready!

It's been really pretty here the past few days - I'm loving the mid 50 degree weather. :) Tomorrow morning we go to Itálica which I found out is only about 9 miles outside of Sevilla (or maybe it's not even considered "outside" of Sevilla?), and it has a bunch of Roman ruins. I'm sure I'll have a TON of historical pictures to upload onto here after tomorrow. Other than that we don't have many plans this weekend...I guess we'll just see where the weekend takes us!

Muchos abrazos,

Paige

PS: Have you noticed I can't write a short blog post for the life of me? I guess that's kind of like how I can't type a short text or Facebook comment either - I apparently enjoy a good mixture of rambling and writing.

6 comments:

  1. Is cafe con leche any different than plain coffee and cream in the states? And historical pictures will be cool, but I'd really like to see photos of an actual mall in Spain!! (You need to do that soon while you still feel / look somewhat like a tourista!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cafe con leche is a lot stronger than plain coffee and cream in the states...it is very strong coffee - almost the size of an espresso in the states (probably the strength too), but maybe a little bigger in size. They put half strong coffee and half steamed/warm milk...so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I will get a picture of the mall at some point. Although you can't even hardly tell it is a mall...I think that's why I didn't think to take a picture in the first place, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I just say how much I love reading all of this :D? I keep you in my reader so I don't scare you with all my comments, but your posts are such a quick + fun read, the length is barely noticeable. Unless I'm feeling guilty that I should really be working instead of taking a quick blog break (what?)... Have a fab weekend! (When's your first weekend trip? can't wait to hear!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha oh well I love the comments! They make me feel less like an idiot, ha. Thank you! :) I'm glad. First weekend trip planned on my own is unknown as of now, but in the works - Barcelona, London, Paris? We don't know yet! Lol, and then first full weekend trip through the program is mid-February to Lisbon, Portugal!

    ReplyDelete