Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Life in Sevilla

I don't have too much to tell, but I figured I'd update y'all anyways. The past couple of days have been frustrating at times! I have yet to meet someone, that is not involved with Texas Tech, that speaks good English in Sevilla. I had heard it was just the opposite - that everyone would be speaking English to us because they would want to practice, but that is definitely not the case. It's extremely helpful with learning the language because we aren't able to speak English ever, but it also exhausting. I am constantly having to use my brain to comprehend what everyone is saying to me and to think of how to respond. When I'm listening to or talking to someone in Spanish I can't zone out like I do in English, not yet at least, but that would be my goal!

The most frustrating thing we've encountered is getting a cell phone over here - I still don't have one. I most likely won't use it that much, but it will be nice to be able to contact my friends in Sevilla to coordinate what we want to do, where we want to meet up, etc. I'm pretty good at Spanish...I can remotely get by or get my point across (kind of), but in regards to a cell phone...not so much. I can hardly understand cell phone information in English, so I definitely can't understand it in Spanish. I think we finally do know exactly what we want though after talking to some other people in our group who have gotten them, but now it's just a matter of coordinating everyone's schedules to go get them.

On a lighter note...I feel like I have FINALLY arrived in Sevilla! Haha, our teachers/directors have been telling us that physically we have arrived but it would take a little while to mentally and emotionally arrive. Well, here I am...finally in Sevilla!

Here is The Center...it's a little blurry, but there's not much to it. It's really just an old pink office building.

We started classes yesterday, and I only go to class for three hours each day! It's pretty cool. :) I don't know why I'd ever want to go back to class in Lubbock. They're already so much better here and I've only been to two days worth. I also have my internship that I need to get set up. I had a meeting over everything yesterday, and I think I'm going to work at a book store right by The Center. I'm really excited! I had thought I wanted to work at a cafe or coffee shop, but to work in food you would have to take a food handling course and stuff like that, and I think working in a book store could really improve my Spanish. They said I will learn about more Spanish authors than I could have ever imagined. It should be an experience!

Some of my friends and I discovered this little restaurant/shop that makes AMAZING bocadillos. Bocadillos are sandwiches on a certain type of roll - usually along the lines of meat, cheese and olive oil. You can order all different types - I got chorizo y queso and that's literally all it is. The lady that works there puts nothing on the roll but chorizo and cheese and it is one of the best things I've had. We love them! They're becoming our snack after class to hold us over until lunch at 3 p.m.


Okay, this is a little blurry..but it's because it's moving! These are on most street corners, and it is the Spanish way of telling you when to cross the street and how much time you have left. It not only counts down the seconds, but the little green man (below the number) walks with you as you walk. His pace speeds up as the amount of time decreases, and by the last two or three seconds his little legs are moving so fast you can hardly see them. It's pretty entertaining - especially when he starts sprinting at the end.

Living at the host family has been fun. My bed is a little bit like it's on hydraulics because I had to shove my huge suitcase underneath it, so the legs on the left side of the bed don't touch the ground but the right side does. I try to sleep on the left side of my bed in hopes that it won't tip over in the middle of the night. Ha. Our families are responsible for feeding us a light breakfast. So far, we've just been walking to school eating bread and today we each had a little muffin too. We're hoping to find a place on the way to school that makes some of the famous homemade orange juice. I'm still wanting to try it and haven't yet!

That's it for now. I said I didn't have much to talk about but I still wrote a book. I don't have many pictures right now, but I will hopefully have some more soon. I know pictures are much more entertaining than me just babbling on and on about random stuff. This weekend, Saturday morning, we are going to Itálica. I'm not quite sure what it is yet, but I'm sure I'll find out soon. I'll keep y'all posted!

Hasta Luego,

Paige




No comments:

Post a Comment