Monday, January 24, 2011

Mi Librería

I still love this life! I think I've started almost every entry like that? I just have a short update today - nothing too exciting has happened since Friday.

My mom's birthday was Saturday. I decided that was a reason to actually use my ghetto cell phone to call home. It was also the only real present I could offer since I'm in Spain, so I called my Momma and wished her a Feliz Cumpleaños. It was nice to actually talk on the phone and not have to worry about Skype/internet connection interrupting our conversation. We only talked for about six minutes, and the convo basically ate up my remaining minutes. A Spanish message came on saying I would use up all of my money in a few seconds, so I pretty much hung up on my mom in a panic and then continued our conversation on Facebook - ha. SO...with that being said, I went today to go add more money to my phone and I did the entire transaction in Spanish! I was pretty proud of myself and definitely walked out smiling. I always order food in Spanish, etc., but there was just something about adding more money to my phone all in Spanish that made me feel smart. :) Hopefully there will be more smart moments to come.

On Saturday, Kelsie and I made a trip to the mall again to look for various items we had decided we needed. Between the two of us - we walked out with one thing, but it was quite an experience. While we were walking we noticed there were A LOT more cars than usual on the streets, whether they were parked or stuck in traffic. I mentioned that maybe there was a fútbol game that night. Didn't think much of it...we just kept walking down all the little back roads to get to the main street the mall is on (the soccer/futbol stadium is just on the other side of the mall) - my thought was confirmed. PEOPLE WERE EVERYWHERE. It was just like a mob of people walking to a sporting event in the States. They were crossing the streets in packs wearing their team colors and singing/chanting about their fútbol team. It could have easily been good people-watching, but we weren't very prepared for it and were on a mission...it was still entertaining, though, and a definite adventure. We really want to get tickets to go to a game some time soon. I think we're going to start looking for some cheap tickets in the nosebleed section - ha - just to get a feel for what it's all about.

Today is my first day at the bookstore (la librería), and this is it! My little blue store. I'm excited to FINALLY get in the routine that I've been looking forward to this entire time. I'm a little nervous because I don't exactly know what's in store and it doesn't seem like my boss speaks a lick of English, but we'll just have to see how it goes! I'll have an update ASAP. :)

This weekend we go to Barcelona. As of now, it is about 10 degrees cooler than Sevilla and it is supposed to rain all weekend - fabulous. We're all really excited though. A lot of us had tests today that we were studying for on Sunday and today, and we keep talking about how the only thing getting us through this week is that Barcelona is at the end of it! I think we're all going to have a ton of fun - rain or shine. Packing, on the other hand, for three days with JUST a backpack that can't weigh more than 22 pounds...could be a little difficult. I've been trying to plot out my outfits in my head, but the rain and cold are both really throwing me off.

I will try and post one more time before we leave for Barca (Barcelona), but if I don't have time then I'll have a lot to tell about come Sunday or Monday.

Ten una semana fabulosa,

Paige

1 comment: